Wednesday, March 3, 2010

CBSE Exams Begin



 

New Delhi, March 3,2010

– Doing their last minute revisions, anxious students were seen making their way to examination centres across the capital Monday for the start of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) examinations.
Parents and teachers accompanying the nervous students tried to calm last minute jitters.

‘I am really tense. I keep forgetting my theory definitions although I have revised it so many times before. I guess I will feel confident only after seeing the question paper,’ said Sarita, a Class 12 student outside a south Delhi examination centre.

Over 1.6 million students are sitting for the board examinations at over 5,500 centres spread across the country and abroad.
 
This year 902,517 students of Class 10 and 699,129 of Class 12 will appear for the exams. Of these around 20,000 are students from Gulf countries.

While some Class 12 students appeared for the Physics examination, the Class 10 students had their instrumental and vocal music (Carnatic and Hindustani) examination Wednesday.

Some residential schools in the capital held prayer meetings for students appearing for the board exams.
‘Before the start of the exams we hold a prayer meeting in the school and students chant the ‘Saraswati Mantra’. The teachers give a pep talk to students to help them overcome stress before the examination,’ said a psychologist-cum-counsellor with a residential school in south Delhi.


A few children have taken up the optional Music subject in Class 10.

‘I have been learning music since the age of three. I have sung at various competitions and kacheris. Me and my parents thought I should get a formal qualification so I am appearing for the Class 10 Music exam. I am prepared. I know the syllabus quite well,’ said Veena of the Mother’s International School.

Some parents accompanied their wards to the examination centres and were seen giving last minute tips.
‘My daughter has studied well and I am pretty confident that she will score well. I have told her that she should try and attempt the entire paper and manage time well,’ said Sidharth, father of a Class 12 student.
 
From this year, the CBSE has initiated the new grading system in Class 9 and 10 to take pressure off students who are appearing for the board exams. The performance of the students throughout the year will be assessed via a grading system.

No comments:

Post a Comment